top of page



General Questions

Do I need to audition to be a theatre major?


There is no audition required to declare a theater major. All you need to do is fill out a major declaration form with our adviser, Louisa Thompson. Click here to set up a remote advising appointment.

What are the requirements for a theater major and minor?


  • A theater major consists of 30 credits. Our major allows you the flexibility to focus on what interests you and guarantees you get exposure to different aspects of theatre including, acting, directing, playwriting, dramaturgy, production, and design.

  • Our theater minor is 12 credits worth of 200 and 300-level electives. 


Click here for more details on major and minor requirements.

What is CUNYfirst? How do I use it?


CUNYfirst is an online software where you can:


  • Search and register for classes

  • Pay tuition

  • View and request transcripts

  • Track your financial aid

  • View outstanding balances

into your CUNYfirst account here.

CUNYfirst won't let me register for a class. What do I do?


That depends on the error message you get from CUNYfirst. Here are the most common issues:


  • You're missing a prerequisite. If this is the case, you can e-mail the professor and ask for permission to register. If you get permission, forward the e-mail to our administrative coordinator - Jenny Rroji at - with your EmplID.

  • Registration is by permission only. Some classes require special permission before registration. This includes:

    • THEA 253 Specific Topics: Theater Performance - used for department productions, and audition based courses over the winter and summer break.

    • THEA 402 Independent Research - used for independent research projects.

    • THEA 498 In Service - allows students to receive credit for unpaid internships. Click here to find out how to get credit for an internship.

    • Special Topics courses will occasionally require permission to register. This will be noted in the class notes on CUNYfirst.

  • Are you having a different issue? E-mail us at or call us at (212)772-5149​.

What is Blackboard? How do Hunter professors use it?


Blackboard is an online software that allows Professors to communicate and share class resources. Your professors may use Blackboard to:


  • Make announcements

  • Post assignments

  • Upload reading material

  • Share digital content (photos, videos, etc.) 

How much your class relies on blackboard varies based on the class and professor.

How do I apply for financial aid?

In order to qualify for financial aid, you need to fill out a FAFSA online. Once your FAFSA is processed, Hunter will post any financial aid to your CUNYfirst account.

Fill out your FAFSA here. Hunter's school code is 002689.

Questions about:

Federal Grants

Federal Work-Study

New York State TAP



Summer Funding

The Financial Aid Office can help you with that. Check out their website or contact them at  (212) 772-4820,

Who is my adviser and how do I get in contact with them?

As a Hunter student, you have access to a number of advisers. If you have questions about:

  • Graduation

  • General Education Requirements (GER)

  • Hunter Core Requirements (HCR)

  • Degree Works

  • Pluralism and diversity requirements

  • Writing intensive courses


Contact your academic adviser at the Office of Advising at (212) 772-4882 or visit their website. To set up an appointment online click here.

If you are a current theatre student and have questions about your major/minor or you would like to learn more about our major contact our Undergraduate Advisor Louisa Thompson at To schedule an appointment online, click here.

Every department has it's own advisers. If you have a question about one of your other majors, contact that department directly.

Can I get advising directly from the theatre department?

​Yes, we actually recommend you see our adviser at least once a semester to check-in and make sure you are on track for your theatre major. Our undergraduate adviser is Louisa Thompson. You can contact her at

To schedule an appointment online, click here.

What is a OneCard and how do I get one?

Your OneCard is your student ID, which can get you in and out of every Hunter campus building. You can pick one up at the OneCard office located at Hunter West room 203 (around the corner from the escalator on the 2nd floor. It is a tiny room by the entrance to the class hallway. Seriously, very easy to miss.)

Financial Aid
Major & Minor Requirements
bottom of page