top of page


Current Theatre Student

Before we get started, tell us more about yourself.

Are you an . . . Undergraduate Student | MA Student | MFA Student | Transfer Student



Undergraduate Student

What are the requirements for a theatre major?

Our major allows you the flexibility to focus on what interests you and guarantees you get exposure to different aspects of theatre including, acting, directing, playwriting, dramaturgy, production, and design. Click here to see the requirements

What about a theatre minor?


Our theater minor is 12 credits worth of 200 and 300-level electives. Click here to see the breakdown.

Do I need to audition to be a theatre major?

There's is no audition required to declare a theater major. All you need to fill out a major declaration form with our adviser, Louisa Thompson. Contact her to set-up an appointment at To schedule an appointment online, click here.

How do I get involved in the department production?

There are a couple of ways you can get involved in departmental productions.

Audition for the show! Auditions take place the first week of the semester and are open to all Hunter students, any major. If you are cast, you can register for THEA 253 and receive 3 credits, as long as you complete the paperwork before  September 2nd, 2019.

Apprenticeships allow you to get hands-on experience in theater production, administration, and marketing, while supporting the department. Apprenticeships are available with our: scene shop, costume shop, electrics crew, stage management team, board operators and more. Click here to find out more about apprenticeships.

How do I propose an honors project?

Honors projects can be either a creative or research project which equals or exceeds the workload of a 300-level class.



•       You must be a senior with at least a 3.5 GPA to propose an honors project.

•       Secure a full-time faculty member to sponsor your project. Visit our website for a list of our full-time professors.

•       All projects must include a written component.


How to Register

•       Develop a project plan with your faculty sponsor - a detailed written plan outlining the project work and requirements.

•       Submit your proposal to the office for approval.

Can I get advising directly from the theatre department?

Yes, we actually recommend you see our adviser at least once a semester to check-in and make sure you are on track for your theatre major. Our undergraduate adviser is Louisa Thompson. You can contact her at or call her at (212) 650-3517. Click here to set up an appointment.

Undergraduate Student
MA in Theatre



MA in Theatre

What time do classes take place?


We know most of our graduate students work , so classes are typically held Monday through Friday evenings starting at 5:30 PM.

How long will it take me to finish my MA degree?


You can structure your degree to work around your current professional, personal and financial circumstances. These factors will determine how many courses you will take each semester.  Most students complete their degrees within 18 months to 3 years.  We try to be flexible enough to accommodate individual needs.

Who is the graduate adviser?

The graduate advisor is professor Mira Felner. You can contact her at or (212)772-3338. Her office is located on the 5th floor of the Baker Theatre Building, room BTB 540.

Can I transfer credits earned in other institutions?


You may transfer up to 12 credits of graduate coursework with the approval of the graduate advisor.

Can I take undergraduate courses?

While you cannot take undergraduate classes for credit, many undergraduate courses are cross-listed as graduate-level courses as well. Past cross-listed classes include: Directing, Shakespeare Workshop, Acting Non-Realism, Puppetry, Staging History, and The Lulu Project.

How large are the classes?

All graduate classes are seminars and usually have between 10 and 15 students.

Can I enter the program on a trial basis?

You can enter the program as a non-matriculated student without filing a formal application. You just need to bring proof of an undergraduate degree to the graduate admissions office. You may take up to 3 classes as a non-matriculated student which can be automatically applied to your degree should you matriculate.



MFA in Playwriting

How do I print scripts for my classes?

​We know printing scripts can be expensive, and we are here to support you. Your MFA lounge is equipped with a high-volume printer, which you are welcome to use to print class materials and scripts.


Don’t have time to print before class? No problem, just e-mail us what you need printed to by 12pm the day before your class. So if your class is Thursday at 5:30pm, email us by Wednesday at 12pm. Be sure to let us know how many copies you need, single or double sided.

What is the MFA Festival?

​The Hunter MFA Playwrights Festival is the capstone event of the MFA Playwriting Program. In the final semester, each student will have a 29-hour workshop of their thesis play with a professional director and actors from the NYC theatre community. This workshop will culminate in a public, industry-attended reading in the Loewe Theatre.


First year students also may also present excerpts and short plays during the evening of short works.

Are there opportunities to produce student work?


Yes, at the end of the your first year, you and your fellow students will have a short play performed at the MFA Playwriting Festival. Your second and final year culminates in a public staged reading of your own full length-play.

What are play labs and how can I take advantage of them?​

Play Lab is an informal open lab space for MFA Playwrights to hear work read aloud by theatre MA and BA students. It’s part of a new initiative to foster cross-pollination between the different programs in the department, and to give playwrights more time and space to work with actors. You can use the time however you like: test out brand new material, read through rewrites or full length drafts, work improvisationally, or read through classic or other texts that inspire your writing.


Each writer will get one three-hour slot during the semester. Sessions will be held on Friday afternoons from 1-4pm in the Library. Undergrad and grad actors can sign up for these slots, and writers can utilize the actors however they like.

How long will it take me to finish my MFA degree?


The Rita and Burton Goldberg MFA in Playwriting is a two-year program that consists of four semesters, 9 credits each.

Is the GRE required to apply?


No, the GRE is no longer a requirement to apply for the MFA in Playwriting. 

What if English is not my first language?


We welcome international students to apply for the MFA in Playwriting. If English is not your native language, or you spent all or part of your undergraduate degree in a country where English is not the native language, you are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and receive a minimum score of:

  • Paper Test: 550

  • Computer Administered Test: 213

  • Internet Based Test: 60 (less speaking component)

What are the application requirements?

In order to apply, we ask for:

  • A bachelor's degree

  • A full-length play manuscript

  • Two letters of recommendation

  • A statement of purpose(500-700 words)

Click here for more details.

MFA in Playwriting



Transfer Student

Does theatre accept transfer credits from other universities?


Yes, the theatre department accepts transfer credits on a case by case basis. Just make an appointment with the theatre adviser and bring:

  • A syllabus or course description for the class

  • A transcript from your previous university

Our adviser will ask you questions about the course and decide whether it is equivalent to any of our theatre courses.

How can I meet more theatre students?

There are a couple of fun ways to get to know your fellow students:

  • Attend town hall meetings - These gatherings happen at least 3 times a semester and are designed to improve communication between the department administration, faculty, and students.

  • Join the Theater Club - This student-run club produces student-work and has an office in Baker Theatre Building, Room 355.

  • Come to a department party - We throw a party at the end of every semester to celebrate a job well done, hand out awards, and eat pizza. We also have an annual Halloween Party with a costume contest. 

  • Catch a WED @ ONE - These Q&A sessions with seasoned theatre professionals are attended by both students and faculty and include a complimentary box lunch.

Click here to see our upcoming events.

Where can I learn more about the department?

Don't be shy, come visit us in the office, and we can help you get settled into the department. 

Transfer Student
bottom of page